The application period for the Summer 2022 Internship will open on November 1, 2021. Please visit this page on or after that date to access the online application material.
The Language Flagship Technology Innovation Center at the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa offers a Summer Internship Program to qualified graduate students who are Flagship alumni or current undergraduate students in a Flagship program who are interested in gaining experience working with innovative language technologies and language learning professionals. The purpose of the Summer Internship Program is to facilitate student participation in an intensive language technology project. Internship projects are highly focused and have elevated priority within the Tech Center portfolio. Interns are supervised by relevant Tech Center faculty.
The duration of the internship is 6 to 8 weeks (6 hrs/day Mon. thru Fri.) in which the selected intern works on a specific Tech Center project. Topics for internship projects vary, depending on a student’s interest. For example, a recent Intern was directly involved in the development of an Arabic text summarization algorithm using probabilistic topic modeling techniques (see short video above). These summarizations were subsequently integrated as material in a technology platform for developing intercultural competence.
Areas of expertise that typically overlap with Tech Center projects include natural language processing, human language technology, computational linguistics, data science methods/techniques, digital audio/video data processing and analysis, human computer interaction/design, and learning technology design/implementation.
- Current undergraduate student enrolled in a Flagship program or Flagship alumni.
- Current and active matriculation in an official program of study (Undergraduate, Master’s, Ph.D., or advanced graduate certificate) at an accredited post-secondary institution in an area of relevance to language, learning, and technology (E.g., World Languages, Linguistics, Human Language Technology, Learning Sciences, Computer Science, etc.).
- Current GPA of 3.0 or higher *
- Available for onsite work at the Tech Center at the University of Hawaii at Manoa in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (Onsite work is expected unless otherwise restricted by national, state, local, or University of Hawaii COVID 19 policies or the Tech Center funder on the start date of hire.)
- Minimum of two years academic and/or professional experience in areas relevant to language, learning, and technology.
- *Transcripts are required if an applicant is selected.